Friday, March 18, 2011

Is it Worth it? Guidelines for Eating Out

We've had some friends/family call lately and ask "So are you done with your whole 'Eating Healthy thing' yet, can we go out to dinner and have some normal food?"  Yes we are done with our Whole30 Eating Challenge done by Crossfittheclub, and no we are not done eating healthy.  Eating healthy is a lifetime decision for us, not a temporary one.  I feel confident that when I eat out, I will find something that is both Paleo and normal.  Here are a few tips making healthy lifestyle choices when eating out.

1: AVOID GLUTEN
I have a gluten intolerance so for me, this is a must or I will be paying for it hours later.  Lucky for me I have a husband who after seeing how gluten effected me, cut gluten 100% out of his diet, making my temptation for it much less.  I would challenge you to cut out gluten for 30 days and SLOWLY reintroduce it. See how you feel.  If a sandwich sounds good, order it without the bun.
2: NO FRIED FOOD
I am a sucker for savory, salty foods, I avoid looking at them at all costs.
3: PROTEIN IS A MUST
If you have to pay to have extra meat on your salad then do it.
4: SUBSTITUTE THE CARB FOR AN EXTRA SIDE OF VEG OR A SIDE SALAD
Most restaurants will allow you to substitute a salad or an extra side of veggies instead of fries or rice.
5: NO SODA

My thought is always, "is it worth it?" and "how is this food going to make me feel in an hour?"  For me, some things are worth "cheating", but most of the time they are not.  Nothing feels as good as being healthy.

I am Jessie, a modern-day CaveWoman. You can contact me at thecavewomanskitchen @ gmail (dot) com and if you are on twitter you can find my tweets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment